27 Jun 2010

The bug got me, or I caught the bug- not sure which way around it goes, but I do know that this is one of the first big world sporting events that has captured my heart. And not just mine. As I look around me at my family, my friends and even just people I pass by on the streets, people have embraced the 2010 World Cup and are making the most of the festivities!

The amount of gees, or spirit, that people have shown for not only being the host of the World Cup, but also for our country South Africa, has been a delightful surprise. Like the person who covered their car with flags! And my mom who decorated her dustbin. And the fans who got dressed up and made makarapa's in their country's style. Even Rod the Frog snuck into a few games with me.

Football Fan with Telana

I was lucky enough to get tickets to two games, and then football fortune smiled on me further when Brand South Africa invited me to a third game as a brand ambassador for our country (Thank you Brand SA!).

So, I got to freeze (and I mean freeze with the temperature reaching minus 5 degrees Celsius) while watching Brazil beat Korea DPR at Ellis Park. Then I had a wonderful and warm afternoon in the sun enjoying Argentina's skill on the Soccer City field, as they beat Korea Republic with their fans singing over the drums of Korea and the vuvuzelas of Africa. And Mongezi and I ran around Loftus and enjoyed the spoils of the hospitality suite when we watched Denmark against Cameroon, thanks to Brand South Africa.

Mongezi and Telana - at Denmark vs Cameroon

Besides the fun of the actual tournament, I've so enjoyed the reports from chatting to visitors to our country of how they are enjoying themselves, the weather, and the friendliness of our people. Ayoba! I've made friends with a Mexican over breakfast, an Indian-from Dubai-who's-a-big-Brazillian-Fan for a few days, and many South African friends for the duration of a game. There's something about a shared experience that unites people!

My hope is that we can remember this team spirit that we all feel for Team South Africa, and carry on being ambassadors of our country going forward for many years after the World Cup has left this beautiful, raw and alive land of ours!

Ke nako!

Pwwaaaaarrp on a Vuvuzela, with a new friend!

One Response so far.

  1. There is certainly an amazing vibe in the country right now... Like I said to someone last week, I didn't know a whitie with a Bafan shirt in Jan... Now I don't know one with out one!

- Copyright © one matchstick - - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -